Hawila was built in 1935 in Risør, Norway, as a Baltic Trader, a traditional Scandinavian design for a strong wooden freighter, capable of carrying an enormous amount of cargo for its size.
She was built as a motor-assisted sail ship and transported natural ice until the 60s. WW2 saw her converted into a two-masted sailing cargo ship to compensate for fuel shortages.
The end of the ice trade left her abandoned for the first time in the 70s. Starting in 1978, a Swedish independent school ”Mot Bättre Vetande” converted her into a sail training ship for school children as part of the school’s curriculum: the cargo hold became a dormitory, the aft wheelhouse was removed, a galley was built on the deck, and a quarterdeck was raised. From 1984 until 2008, generations of Swedish school children sailed with Hawila. Eventually, the financial situation of the school led to Hawila getting sold.
A new owner kept her for a few years before abandoning her in 2013 in Kastrup. In 2014, she was saved, repaired and restored for coastal sailing, by our non-profit association Hawila Project.